These Lawmakers Legalized Raw Milk, Chugged a Bunch of it, and Got Violently Ill
We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
West Virginia politicians just legalized the sale and consumption of unpasteurized raw milk, and got sick from consuming it
It seems like drinking this milk was a bad moo-ve.
Alanis Morissette, take note: This is a real example of irony.
Mere hours after West Virginia politicians passed a law legalizing the sale and consumption of raw, unpasteurized milk, most of them called in sick the next day due to a mysterious “stomach bug.” The night the law was passed, legislators actually celebrated by taking swigs of the raw milk. The consumption of unpasteurized milk has often been linked to stomach bug-like symptoms.
Health officials have launched a probe into the situation after an anonymous complaint was filed at the state Department of Health and Human Resources, according to Gawker.
"I highly doubt raw milk had anything to do with it, in my case," legislator Pat McGeehan told local news station WSAZ. “There's definitely...some other colleagues that have similar symptoms that I've been experiencing.”
The Kanwaha-Charleston Health Department claims that raw milk can contain bacteria and parasites and could pose health dangers.
"There definitely shouldn't be a law against allowing people to do what they want within the framework of the rule of law," McGeehan said. "Just be careful."